The Level 3 Clinical Coder is a qualified and experienced professional who fulfills HMC’s requirement to produce accurate, timely, and complete clinically coded data.
The data generated from Clinical Coding supports the ability for HMC to provide information to internal and external stakeholders including the Ministry of Public Health and other relevant external organizations. The National Health Strategy of “Better Health, Better Care, and Better Value” is supported by the output from clinical coding.
- A qualification in ICD-10-AM from HIMAA, OR
- Bachelor of Health Information Management that includes ICD-10-AM clinical coding modules,OR
- Accredited/Advanced ICD-10 Clinical Coding Certificate from a recognized educational authority, OR
- A qualification in ICD-10-AM from a recognized educational authority
- 6 years of Tertiary level casemix in ICD-10 AM clinical coding, OR
- 6 years HIM in an Activity-Based Funding environment
- Understand and apply ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS standards and guidelines assigning accurate codes to ensure correct AR-DRG assignment to the highest complexity to reflect the episode of care
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the structure and use of ICD-10-AM/ACHI/ACS and AR-DRG
- Superior knowledge of medical terminology
- Superior knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology
- Investigative and problem-solving skills in relation to clinical coding
- Understanding of Activity-Based Funding and/or Costing principles